Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Doctor, doctor, doctor!

Between Emily and myself we had 3 doctor appointments yesterday!
I was very nervous about driving with Emily by myself but it all went well.
I did not realize how much stuff I needed to take for a day out. I had 2 diaper bags packed plus her backpack with her feeding pump and my purse. There is just so much stuff that could go wrong and if I forget something important it could mean a trip to the ER.
First up was Emily's neurologist. The appointment was pretty uneventful. Same ole same ole. Her 3rd round of genetic testing (lumbar puncture) was normal. We are waiting for one more test to come back though. They did check her carnitine level. (click the word for the long explanation)

Carnitine plays a critical role in energy production. It transports long-chain fatty acids into the mitochondria so they can be oxidized ("burned") to produce energy. It also transports the toxic compounds generated out of this cellular organelle to prevent their accumulation. Given these key functions, carnitine is concentrated in tissues like skeletal and cardiac muscle that utilize fatty acids as a dietary fuel.

Emily's was a little low so we are starting her on a supplement to bump that up.

The neurologist was very pleased about Emily's progress with talking and her alertness. She of course, in true Emily fashion, would not wake up for him. I honestly think he has seen her awake a couple times. We go back in a month and he said hopefully by then we will have an appt to go to Cleavland.

Joe called while I was parking and said his work was sending people home (involuntary) for the day and he got cut so he was going to be able to come to all the appts and help me (YAY for help but BOO for no money). Speaking of daddy he is a quick video of Emily saying dada. I think it is around 21 sec where she says it the best. She has him wrapped around her little finger. WARNING: Be prepared to turn your volume down! She gets so loud! Its funny but loud. I warned ya!

Next up was my appointment. My blood pressure has been high and the med I was on was not working any longer. So new med. Done.

While I had my appt Joe took Emily next door to her pediatrician to see if she needed reflux meds. The answer was we don't know yet. HA! The reason is that we have a very long appt with the main pediatrician next week. Because of Emily's needs we needed one with a little more experience with Emily's condition. So we are going to wait until we see her plus that gives us a little more time to see if it is truly reflux.

Beautiful week ahead so hopefully we can get out and to the park!!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE THESE VIDEOS! It sure sounds to me like she is saying DaDa and Daddy. I love to hear her little voice. I know she is doing much better. I can tell. I am very glad to see that her tests are coming back normal. Everything that comes back normal is awesome.
    Jesus is the Great Physician. I know that she is under His care and that she will continue to get better and better. Now she has to learn to say Mom and MaMaw!
    Love you all,
    Grandma Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had to say that I LOVE the pic from yesterday!! That little hat is so cute!

    Hallie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe and Erica, Emily looks and sounds great! But I think I like what I hear in the background just as much. Listen to your videos again. Did you hear it? YOU are laughing!You can hear your smiles too. Stay strong, and when you're feeling weak, let those around you help hold you up. Praying continually, your blog stalking prayer warrior - Denise

    ReplyDelete