Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Where to start?


I am starting this blog to possibly help others and to journal our journey through this craziness we call infantile spasms. So I guess I will start at the beginning... Joe and I married on March 16, 2004. We immediately wanted a family so we tried. The first year went by no baby. We were ok with it. Life was busy and it was probably good we didn't get pregnant then. We bought our first house and got settled in to marriage and still no baby. I started seeing my ob/gyn about it. I did several rounds of Clomid, we did everything she said and still, you guessed it no baby. Time for more invasive procedures. I had severe endometriosis (sp) and had surgery for that and right after the surgery they induced menopause to prevent it from growing back. After 6 months of that I GOT PREGNANT! Sadly we lost that baby 10 weeks or so into the pregnancy. More testing found that I have a blood clotting disorder called MTHFR. They told me to take high dosage folic acid and a baby aspirin for life. Once that was taken care of we got pregnant again!! I was considered "high risk" because of my clotting disorder so I had to see a perinatologist (ALOT) and take a daily blood thinner injection. I ended up on bedrest because of my blood pressure and then at 38 weeks they induced me (to make sure I was off blood thinners). Labor wasn't too bad but I wouldn't dialate past 5cm because of scar tissue on my cervix long story short epidural only took on half my body so I was knocked out for my c-section and then TA-DA Emily was born! 5lbs 9oz 19in long she was tiny but healthy. She was a little jaundice but did not need lights and we got to go home after 3 days. I know I gave a lot of info about me but we don't know why Emily has IS and maybe someone has a similar story...who knows.

2 comments:

  1. YIPEE... Welcome to the blogging world Erica! Think you will bless others with blogging about the journey you are on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, I wondered when you would take the plunge. Hope this is a blessing for others! And I hope you post lots of pictures ;)

    ReplyDelete